Scholarship opportunities have been made available through numerous benefactors of the Lock Haven University Physician Assistant Program. We thank these benefactors and the LHU Foundation for providing assistance to PA students as they strive to become healthcare providers in medically underserved areas of the Commonwealth.
Each of the scholarships requires: completion of an online application, the submission of an essay, and the submission of a letter of recommendation.
The deadline for your application submission is February 10th
Please be aware that, in order to receive a scholarship, you MUST attend Spring Convocation on April 30th, 2017 in Price Auditorium and must write a thank you letter to the scholarship contributor.
To receive the Lacy Magagnotti memorial scholarship you MUST attend the Fall Convocation at the Clearfield Campus (date TBD). If necessary, the recipient of this scholarship may be excused from the spring convocation at Lock Haven.
Additional information regarding procedures can be found here
To apply for any of these scholarships, you must do the following:
1. Complete an application form online here. Scroll down to the Physician Assistant Scholarship area and click on the name of the scholarship you are applying for. This will lead you to the application.
2. Submit an essay, as described, in the application.
This essay should be 500 words or less and address 1) how the student will work towards meeting the mission of the Lock Haven University PA Program, 2) the contributions the student has made to their community, the field of medicine, and/or to the PA profession, and 3) economic need.
3. Submit a letter of recommendation addressed to me, via email (email@example.com), that addresses the following characteristics:
a. Interpersonal skills
b. Demonstrated academic performance
d. Potential for underserved practice
e. Commitments to service and civic engagement
The following scholarships are available:
The Eleanor Baieroski Harendza Scholarship
- Up to $1350.00
- For a full-time student enrolled in the Physician’s Assistant Program who have significant life experience in a rural, medically underserved area or health professional shortage area as defined by the State Department of Health. Must have a desire to return to rural primary care practice after graduation. Must demonstrate financial need and academic ability to succeed in the program.
Michael Greenberg MD, MBA Physician Assistant Scholarship
- Up to $300.00
- For students enrolled in the LHU Physician Assistant Program.
The TurnKey Electric Physician Assistant Scholarship
- Up to $1500.00
- For a student enrolled in the Physician Assistant Program. Student should aspire to seek and retain employment as primary care provider in medically underserved areas of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Student should be active in clubs, service organizations or varsity athletics and represent the quality and character that went into the construction of Fairview Suites.
The Dr. Larry H. Lytle and Lynn J. Lytle Scholarship
- Up to $1000.00
- To provide an annual award of at least $500 to a student who is fully matriculated in the LHU Physician's Assistant Program. Must demonstrate a desire to practice rural primary care and documented financial need. Preference given to those whose home is in a rural, medically underserved community as defined by the Pennsylvania State Health Data Center.
Victoria J. Romeo, MD Memorial Physician Assistant Scholarship
- Up to $5350.00
- In 2008 Lock Haven University Foundation became the benefactors of a trust that has endowed scholarship opportunities to graduate physician assistant students and LHUP undergraduate 3+2 BS/MHS students. This endowed scholarship fund will provide the following scholarships to future physician assistants enrolled in the LHUP programs:
· Three $1070.00 Scholarships to students enrolled in the graduate Physician Assistant Program
· Two $1070.00 Scholarships to students enrolled in the undergraduate 3 + 2 BS/MHS Program
These scholarships will be competitively awarded on an annual basis. Students who receive the award in previous years are eligible to compete in subsequent years for the award. The following criteria will be used for determining award recipients:
· Students must be residents of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to be eligible for the award
· Students applying in their freshman through junior years in the 3 + 2 Program or graduate PA students must have a minimum 3.2 GPA.
· Awards will be preferentially given to students who are from medically underserved areas.
· Financial need, as determined by the student FAFSA application, will be considered in determining award eligibility.
· Academic Performance as demonstrated by the applicant's last 24 months of education in any setting and standardized test scores will be considered.
Lacy Magagnotti Memorial Scholarship
- Amount To Be Determined
- To provide a scholarship for an LHU student who is a graduate PA student. Student must be from Clearfield County and can attend any campus location. Student must have a desire to return to Clearfield County to work as a professional upon graduation
Dixon University Center Scholarships
Criteria: Any student who is not receiving full tuition reimbursement from another source is eligible for the scholarships, which can amount to a maximum sum of $1000. To be eligible, the student must be matriculated in a degree program at Dixon University Center, and have a grade point average of at least 2.5 for undergraduate or 3.0 for graduate. The Board announces scholarships after the midpoint of each semester, and awards are made when students successfully complete the semester's coursework.
Information found HERE
National Health Service Corps
Award winner is provided payment for Tuition, Fees, a monthly stipend and other reasonable expenses.
In Exchange the program participant agrees to provide service to some of the United States underserved populaitons.
Obtain information from their website at http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/ or call toll free at 1-800-221-9393.
U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps
Get stipend during your PA schooling and a guaranteed job after graduation.
VA HPSP for PA students
Veterans Affairs, Health Professionals Scholarship Program